Nowadays, smart bulbs and smart switch products are being used extensively to automate lighting systems in homes. Considering that they each consist of different features, many homeowners are unsure as to whether they should install smart switches or smart bulbs before opting for smart switch installation.
Here is some information that might help you in choosing between a smart bulb and a smart switch:
A smart bulb is essentially an LED bulb that can be controlled remotely. It is possible to switch the bulb on or off through a wireless WiFi network or a Zigbee or Z-Wave communication protocol. You can also adjust the intensity of the bulb, to make it brighter or dimmer. For some bulbs, it is also possible to change the color being emitted.
- A smart bulb can be monitored and controlled using a smartphone provided it is connected to a network.
- It is easier to install a smart bulb than to install a smart switch. The user only needs to remove the existing bulb and affix the new bulb with no additional wiring required.
- If the user wants to expand the number of smart bulbs in their lighting system, they can do so quite easily.
- Smart bulbs can be only used if their bases are compatible with the existing lighting fixtures in the home. Fortunately, most smart bulbs have an e-shaped screw in their bases. If the bulb fixtures are not compatible, they can be used without any need to change the fixtures
- If a Zigbee protocol is used for your smart bulbs, an additional Zigbee hub will have to be purchased so that it can be controlled using a smart hub or smartphone app.
- Most smart bulbs are expensive to purchase due to the technology which they use.
- Smart bulbs need to be enabled all the time upon being installed.
A smart switch is a switch that consists of an electronic module that can be controlled remotely over a wireless connection such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. A smart switch works by turning the lights on and off automatically and at a specified time if configured accordingly. Additionally, the switch can be used to control the intensity of dimmable light bulbs.
- One smart light switch can be used to control multiple bulbs in the room, so the effective cost of the smart switch is usually lower than installing multiple smart bulbs in the room.
- The smart switch can be used when the smart bulbs available are not compatible with the existing lighting fixtures in the room
- Smart switches can control multiple bulbs in a roo In fact, installing multiple smart switches is usually less expensive than installing multiple smart bulbs.
- One of the most common misconceptions about installing a smart switch at home is that it can only be used with a smart bulb having similar specifications. On the contrary, a smart switch can be used even when the smart bulbs used are from a different manufacturer.
- Installing a smart switch requires some technical skills considering that the existing wiring of the old switch needs to be removed first before the new switch can be installed. Unfortunately, most people do not have the tools or expertise to modify their home wiring. It is also not safe for a person with no training to attempt to reconfigure their wiring. Thus, it is better to seek the assistance of an electrician who specializes in installing smart switches in Singapore homes.
Knowing the pros and cons of installing smart bulbs and smart switches can help you immensely when deciding which one to purchase. After you have purchased your ideal device, be sure to have it installed by a reputable smart switch installation service like Smart Switch City Singapore. By doing so, you can prevent any smart switch installation problems from taking place.
Smart Switch City Singapore specializes in providing professional and reliable smart switch installation services. With a wide range of smart switch products and brands, customers will get choose the most suitable smart switch according to their needs. Our customer service support team is well-trained to provide practical recommendations and attend to your queries swiftly. To provide holistic service excellence to our customers, we have a team of highly experienced electricians to perform smart switch installation services. You may wish to read through our blogs and smart switch buying guide to learn more about the things you should take note of before installing smart switches. Do not hesitate to WhatsApp us at +65 8241 0032 if you have any queries on smart switches and we will be happy to assist!